Emergency Relief Coordinator Griffiths cited serious risks of inertia and fatigue in easing extreme conditions in Yemen, as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine inflicts fresh shocks and international outrage.
Tomorrow, @UN The Secretary General will participate @IgnazioCassis and @AnnLinde in organizing a pledge event for Yemen. We are looking for nearly US$4.3 billion to help over 17 million people. This event is an opportunity to show that we are not giving up on Yemen. 5/5
– Martin Griffiths (@UNReliefChief) March 15, 2022
We must not give in to those forces. He drew attention to Wednesday high level engagement event to ease the pain of vulnerable Yemenis, with aid agencies seeking nearly $4.3 billion to help 17 million people in 2022 alone.
New national assessments confirm that 23.4 million people now need assistance – about three out of every four. Of those, 19 million will go hungry in the coming months – an increase of almost 20% from 2021 – while more than 160,000 of them will face a famine-like situation.
Noting that Yemen is dependent on commercial imports for 90 percent of its food and nearly all of its fuel, he said a third of the country’s wheat comes from Russia and Ukraine, where the conflict has occurred. starting on 24th February could push food prices, which doubled last year, even higher.
‘Take food from the hungry to give to the starving’
Without immediate money, the hungry will lose help at the very moment they need it most. The number of people in need of food is forecast to reach 19 million in the second half of the year without new money, according to the latest figures Integrated stage classification.
“The funding for Yemen has never reached this point,” he warned. “We have no choice but to take food from the hungry to feed the hungry.”
Shortage of capital must be cut
WFP Mr Beasley said he was forced to reduce rations for eight million people at the start of the year due to a lack of money. Currently, the five million people at risk of starvation continue to receive adequate food rations.
WFP is currently only 11 percent funded and needs more than $887.9 million to help feed 13 million people over the next six months.
Mr. Griffiths said more than 75% of the $14 billion generated from UN appeals came from six donors – the United States, Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates United, Germany and the European Commission – whose funds have accumulated. Against mass famine, he said, “a critical success”.
“If we have one message for the world today, it is this: don’t stop now. Member States must demonstrate that “no title does not mean being left behind”.
© UN Photo / Ekinder Debebe
Artillery shelling, air strikes continue
Details of the violence, Yemen Special Envoy Hans Grundberg, said last month shelling in Taiz again caused civilian casualties and damage to residential buildings, while hostilities erupted was reported in the administrations of Sa’dah and Al Dali.
Air strikes continue, he said, mainly on the front lines in Marib and Hajjah. UN Mission to Support the Hudaydah Agreement (UNMHA) meanwhile is working to rebuild communication between the parties, re-establish roads to de-escalate and strengthen port surveillance.
“Through conflicts and conflict flows, the reality remains that a military approach will not produce a sustainable solution,” he said.
Sparks of political progress
Grundberg said he was working with the parties to explore options for immediate de-escalation measures that could reduce violence, defuse the fuel crisis and improve freedom of movement.
He also updated on a series of structured consultations launched in February, encouraged by the participation of Yemeni political parties, constituents, experts and civil society representatives. , and described his recent discussion with Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi as “very constructive”.