What did you say?! The pile of clothes left on the bed burned down the house in North Carolina

Roommates, have you ever put a pile of freshly laundered clothes aside and forgotten about it for a while? Well, it was this habit that recently led to a house fire in Burlington, North Carolina!

Baking clothes can be dangerous if left unattended!

The incident happened in the early hours of Tuesday, November 29, shortly after midnight, the Burlington Fire Department responded to a fire alert and discovered smoke coming from a home, according to a report. Press Release.

Discovering that the homeowner was absent from work, the functional forces went inside to handle the incident.

“Firefighters were forced to enter the house because the owner was at work, discovered the fire in the bedroom and put it out. Searches were also conducted to confirm no one was inhabited. It took about 15 minutes for firefighters to make sure the fire was completely extinguished and there were no hot spots left.”

The statement then mentions the cause of the fire: a pile of clothes left unattended.

Specifically, the fire broke out “due to overheated laundry” left on the bed.

“The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, the laundry from the tumble dryer overheated and was taken out of the dryer to enter the bedroom. The clothing items then smolder then catch other clothing and furniture items on fire.

Overall, the fire department reported about $30,000 in damage. Thankfully, further damage was avoided thanks to the house’s functional fire alarm system.

“Estimated damage is $20,000 for structure and $10,000 for content. This fire highlights the benefits of a monitored fire alarm system, resulting in
quick maneuvering by the fire department to minimize damage to the home.”

Most laundry fires are caused by lint build-up

While this particular situation is certainly an odd one, dryer fires are not uncommon.

Follow american fire department (USFA), thousands of dryers catch fire each year, and the leading cause is lint build-up and eventually ignite.

The USFA notes that top-notch cleaning and maintenance are paramount, and recommends never leaving the dryer running before going to bed or leaving the house.

So while the North Carolina washing machine fire takes on the more unusual side, people are at very high risk of causing a dryer fire if they don’t regularly clean the lint trap. In addition, it is important to regularly clean the dryer vents and exhaust pipes.

What do you think of this story and would you make any changes to your laundry routine now?


News7F: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button