They say silence is golden, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury having a boxing match.
Lately, there’s been a point where everywhere you look you’ll find another supposed progress in contract negotiations between Fury and ‘AJ’. That all changed when the ‘King of Gypsy’ decided that deadlines were the way forward. He booked two, Team Joshua missed two. However, it is important to note that they have kept their interest in the war known, just not to that particular time frame.
Since then, and although negotiations appear to continue, Fury has suggested the fight elsewhere.
Frank Warren, half of the talks, provided an update on the December 3 talks that, quite frankly, look less and less likely. In his column for the Daily Starhe has compiled the latest advancements and holdings.
“Conversations with the other side have turned out to be friendly but they have been slower than they should have been, especially this week. Joshua doesn’t seem to have any urgency to get it done, and when deals take longer than they need to complete, you start to question whether they really want it.
The TV companies – both BT Sport and DAZN – were wildly successful and deals were in principle done. The ticketing list and the seating chart were outlined, the venue, everything was ready.
This week, the last thing we were told was Joshua saying he didn’t like that we had the final say if we couldn’t agree on something. So we said, ‘put an independent person in the middle to have the final say on any disputed issue’. But nothing came back to the proposal. “
In some situations where two parties are struggling to agree, adding a third to the mix might be a bad idea. In this case, however, it seems like a viable solution to a problem that is likely to prevent fans from witnessing an all-time great battle.
What is certain is that December is coming to an end quickly. Experience in the sport tells us that, if this match is not made on Monday, it will likely not be made – possibly never.