News

UN chief condemns school attack; welcome new evacuees to Mariupol – Global Affairs

Bilohorivka is located near the government-held city of Severodonetsk, where there were reports of heavy fighting in the suburbs on Saturday.

“This attack is another reminder that in this war, as in so many other conflicts, It is the common people who pay the highest priceSpokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said in a statement on behalf of the UN chief.

According to sources, President Volodymyr Zelensky said that about 60 people were killed after a bomb fell on the school.

Supporting those ‘broken by war’

A Ukrainian newspaper said that Bilohorivka had become a flashpoint in the fighting last week.

After Saturday’s attack, the head of the United Nations again reiterated that civilians and civilian infrastructure “always have to be saved” in times of war.

“This war must end, and peace must be established in accordance with the United Nations Charter and international law,” the statement continued, ensuring that the United Nations and its humanitarian partners in Ukraine “will continue to support those whose lives have been ruined by war”.

Another school was destroyed after a massive shelling.  This one is in Kharkiv, northeastern Ukraine.

© UNICEF / Kristina Pashkina

Another school was destroyed after a massive shelling. This one is in Kharkiv, northeastern Ukraine.

‘Flagrant disregard for life’

At the same time, the head of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Catherine Russell tweeted her strong condemnation.

“We still don’t know how many children may have been killed or injured in the reported bombing, but We fear this attack has just added to the hundreds of children who have lost their lives in this war,” she speaks.

She highlighted others insisting that schools should never be attacked or used for military purposes.

“Targeting civilians and civilian objects… is a violation of international humanitarian law,” she said, describing the latest attack as a “blatant disregard for civilian life.”

Mariupol evacuees

Mr. Guterres issued a second statement welcome the arrival on Sunday of a new group of more than 170 civilians arriving in Zaporizhzhia from the Azovstal steelworks and other areas of Mariupol.

The successful evacuation was carried out jointly by the UN and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

“My thoughts are with them and all those in Ukraine who are suffering in this war,” the UN chief said.

Determined to welcome

He went on to thank everyone involved in the “complicated operation”, including leaders in Kyiv and Moscow, who secured the necessary humanitarian stopover.

“I applaud the determination and courage of the UN and ICRC teams on the field,” he said.

This latest safe passage brings the number of civilians who have been safely evacuated from the Azovstal steel mills and other parts of Mariupol to more than 600..

The Secretary-General concluded: “I call on the parties to the conflict to spare no effort to ensure safe passage for all who wish to leave, in any direction they choose, and to provide aid to those who wish to leave. people who need help.

Testimony of the spirit

Meanwhile, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, told journalists in a press conference in Kyiv yesterday that over the past two days he has been “deeply moved” by what he has seen and heard in the country.

“My time here has influenced me personally a lot. As a person… I grew up in a war zone, I know only too well how the Ukrainian people feel – fear for family and friends, fear, a sense of loss. and so on,” he said.

No stranger to the devastation of war, he praised the “extraordinary resilience” of Ukrainians.

“They didn’t give up [but] continue, repair essential services to prevent destruction [from] Tedros said.

An injured girl rests in a medical ward in Kyiv, Ukraine, after her car exploded.

© WHO / Anastasia Vlasova

An injured girl rests in a medical ward in Kyiv, Ukraine, after her car exploded.

Creative ways to support

Since the war began in February, WHO has verified 200 attacks on healthcare in Ukraine.

The head of WHO said that “These attacks must stop. Health care is never the goal“.

He talks about the bravery, humor, and kindness he’s seen in the midst of suffering, along with stories of “conventional, ingenious ways” people have found to help. and protect each other.

“Some of the people I am talking about are our own WHO staff, who, although they lost their homes, fear for their families, deal with the daily uncertainty and have continued to work. work to support the health needs of the Ukrainian people,” said Tedros.

Most Needed Medicine: Peace

While the WHO team in Ukraine continues to work tirelessly to support the country and will do everything possible to support the Government in treating the injured, maintaining medical services and repairing medical system.

However, he pointed out “one medicine that WHO cannot provide, and what Ukraine needs more than any other medicine, and that is peace”.

“So, We continue to call on the Russian Federation to stop this warThe senior UN official concluded.

Source link

news7f

News7F: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button