South Korea’s military said it dispatched fighter jets on Wednesday when six Russian fighter jets and two Chinese planes entered the country’s air defense identification zone without prior notice.
Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said that Chinese H-6 bombers have repeatedly entered the Korea Air Defense Identification Zone (KADIZ) near the south and northeast coasts of South Korea. early Wednesday.
Hours later, they returned to the area from the South China Sea, also known as the Sea of Japan, accompanied by Russian warplanes including two Su-35 fighters and four TU-95 bombers .
Seoul said the fighter jets eventually left the area and did not violate South Korean airspace.
An ADIZ is an area wider than a country’s airspace over which it attempts to control aircraft for security reasons, but the concept is not defined in any international treaty.
“Our military deployed air force fighters even before the Chinese and Russian aircraft entered the KADIZ to take tactical measures in the event of a surprise,” the JCS said. in a statement.
Seoul’s Yonhap news agency reported, citing unnamed “observers”, that Beijing and Moscow appeared to have “engaged in a coordinated air force exercise”.
The incident comes as Washington pushes China, Pyongyang’s most important ally, to use its influence to help rein in North Korea, which has conducted a record series of missile launches this year.
Chinese President Xi Jinping recently told Kim Jong Un that he is willing to work with the North Korean leader for “world peace”.
Pyongyang earlier this month fired an intercontinental ballistic missile in one of its most powerful tests, vowing to respond to US nuclear threats with nuclear weapons of its own. .
The United States has accused Beijing and Moscow of protecting Pyongyang from further sanctions.
The two countries in May vetoed a US-led effort to tighten sanctions on North Korea in response to North Korea’s previous missile launches.
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and was automatically generated from the aggregate feed.)
Featured video of the day
BJP’s redevelopment plan to Delhi benefits 1.35 Crore: Union minister