Some Unusual Boxing Endings Might Surprise You!

Via Ken Hissner: I’m sure all of us boxing fans have experienced some unusual endings and some surprises that come from behind the endings.

On January 13, 1995, the twelfth round match for the North American Boxing Federation light belt was vacated between former International Boxing Federation champion Crown Prince Charles Williams, 36-6-3, of Mansfield, Ohio, and Merqui Sosa, 24-4-2, of the Dominican Republic and Brooklyn, New York in Atlantic City, New Jersey were declared a technical draw after seven innings when Dr. Frank B. Doggett , decided that they had suffered too much punishment for them to safely continue.

Williams will only fight one more time after this match before retiring.

In the only other similar case where Eddie Woods, 7-0-1, Philadelphia, and Al Milone, 12-11, Brooklyn, New York, were cut too much to continue the fight at the Philadelphia Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. in 1959, the result was recorded as an injury loss for both boxers.

There was a double knockout in the world lightweight title fight between Ad “Michigan Wildcat” Wolgast, 66-8-10, Cadillac, Michigan and Mexico “Indian” Joe Rivers, 15-1-2, Vernon, California at Los Angeles, California on July 4, 1912.

Both were knocked down simultaneously in the thirteenth round, and seemingly incapable of going beyond the count, the umpire picked the champion and took him under his arm, continuing to count out Rivers.

But the strangest ending ever for a title fight was when challenger George Bernard, 27-12-14, of Paris, France, dozed off in his corner in the interval between sixth and seventh innings of a middleweight title fight against Billy “The Illinois Thunderbolt” Papke, 38-12-7, in Spring Valley, Illinois in Paris, France on December 4, 1912.

He could not be awakened in time for the seventh inning, and the ending was recorded as retirement. He claims he was drugged and is probably right.

I once attended a fight in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where Philly’s Eric “Outlaw” Hunter knocked his opponent down and hit him as he was collapsing.

Commissioner Rudy Battle, a former referee, held the fight until he called Boxing Director Greg Sirb, who was not there to decide the outcome.

Source link


News7F: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button