Via TD Thornton
Lone Star Park appears to be getting ready to resume racing on Saturday, July 16, after this week’s Thursday and Friday show had to be scrapped because of concerns among carriage riders that the policy The multi-million dollar insurance guaranteed by the track is not enough to provide specialized medical care in the event of an accident along the way.
Terry Meyocks, president and CEO of Jockeys’ Guild, confirmed TDN just after 6 p.m. ET Friday, “We’re happy to go on Saturday. We guarantee that the participants will feel comfortable. “
The insurance policy problems at the Lone Star first surfaced after runner Carlos Montalvo suffered a head injury there in a July 4 car spill.
One Paulick’s Report earlier this week said that Montalvo claimed he couldn’t find a medical professional willing to follow the accident policy purchased by Lone Star’s parent company, Global Gaming, even though that policy closely resembles those of Other policies nationwide provide sufficient coverage. The problem is believed to be related to surgeons and other doctors wanting to get paid up front rather than waiting for insurance claims to be processed.
When the Lone Star riding colony couldn’t be sure that the policy would provide enough coverage in the future, they opted to be a group out of the races on Thursday, July 14. Tracking Management attempted to work with the insurance company on Friday to rectify the situation, but when that didn’t happen by late afternoon, Lone Star itself canceled the July 15 show.
When asked what fundamental changes had been made to meet the racehorses’ need that they receive proper care, Meyocks declined the opportunity to elaborate.
“I think we’ll keep that to ourselves. But the participants were very comfortable with it,” Meyocks said.
Meyocks said: “Lone Star did all it could to address and remedy the situation. “It’s just one of those situations where perhaps the system needs further consideration and explanation. But we haven’t seen this anywhere else, and I don’t know if it’s just timing or anything. But we fixed it and hope it will be a [development] for the future that we can do nationally, that’s what we’ve been talking about for the last four or five years. “
While Lone Star itself has yet to officially announce a deadline for this story, it looks like the “Summer Lawn Festival” shows on Saturday and “Stars of Texas” on Sunday with A total bet of nine will play out as scheduled, with post times both days at Eastern noon.
That’s welcome news to Lone Star horse riders who have been reeling from the Texas Racing Commission’s decision not to trigger the Equestrian Integrity and Safety Act (HISA) rules today. July 1.
That HISA nonconformity decision causes Texas to fail to comply with the new interstate simulation requirements that HISA is using as a compliance guideline. So the commission then had to order that signals from state races not be exported out of state and that pre-staking betting companies could not place bets on Texas races.
Trainer Karl Broberg, a longtime leader at Lone Star and a resident of Texas, had 10 horses join the Lone Star on Thursday and Friday combo shows. None of them have to race because of insurance uncertainty.
“This is not a win-win situation for me,” Broberg said TDN. “I am obviously disgusted that it has gotten to this point. I guess it could have been handled better by both sides. But given what the Texas riders have faced, regarding such an uncertain future with HISA and how they plan to deal with it in the future, this is pretty painful.
“But with that, I feel so bad [about] Broberg said. “There seems to have been some failure to get him into the right hospital, where if that had been handled properly in the first place, none of these cases would have happened.”