Raheem Sterling to decide if he will fly back to Qatar for England’s showdown against France | World News
Raheem Sterling is expected to decide whether he returns to Qatar for England’s quarter-final against France on Saturday.
27-year-old British star left the tournament after being informed that his home in Surrey had been broken intowith items including stolen jewelry and watches.
His family was not at home during the break-in but he wanted to be with them afterwards, as he was concerned for their health.
He returned to Great Britain just before England’s win over Senegal on Sunday.
It is believed he is willing to return to Qatar as long as he can be confident that his family will be safe and it is known that additional security measures are being taken.
The Football Association did not give any updates on Wednesday but the PA news agency reported that the FA had been allowed to consider the possibility of the Chelsea winger’s return.
The Guardian reports Sterling hopes to fly back to Qatar later today.
Earlier on Wednesday morning, Surrey Police said two men arrested on suspicion of attempted theft in Surrey unrelated to the break-in to Sterling’s home.
The men, who are in police custody, were taken into custody on Tuesday night following reports of “suspicious activity”.
Police said: “At this time, these arrests are unrelated to the ongoing investigation into a burglary that received significant media coverage over the weekend.”
No arrests have been made in connection with that, they added.