Oaklawn Parks added nine stake races to its 2022-23 season, bringing the total number of black events offered at the Hot Springs track to 45. Additionally, the amount for the staking program raised $1.45 million for a total bet of $13.75 million, the highest in Oaklawn history. Total purse distribution for the season is expected to exceed $50 million. This will be the second year in a row that the Oaklawn racing season begins in December.
Oaklawn’s new shares include:
- December 10 Ring the Bell S. ($150,000)
- December 31 Renaissance S. ($150,000)
- December 31 of the last year S. ($150,000)
- March 31 Matron S. ($250,000)
- April 1 S. Hot Springs ($200,000)
- April 22 S. Steam Valley ($150,000)
- April 29 Digging the S. diamond ($150,000)
- May 5 Lake Ouachita S. ($150,000)
- May 6 Lake Hamilton S. ($150,000)
Oaklawn President Louis Cella said: “We were very pleased with the way the race was received last December, by both racing fans and riders. “We’ll now use our staking schedule to build on that momentum.”
The 68-day season at Oaklawn will kick off December 9, running through May and will feature the $1.25 million GI Arkansas Derby, as well as three $1 million races, including GI Apple Blossom H. April 15.