West Ham have completed the signing of Burnley winger Maxwel Cornet for £17.5m.
The 25-year-old has signed a five-year contract with the option of an additional year and will wear the number 14 shirt for The Hammers.
Cornet completed his medical on Friday before finalizing personal terms to become David Moyes’ fifth-biggest signing of the summer behind Gianluca Scamacca (£35.5m), Nayef Aguerd (£30m) ), Alphonse Areola (£10.5m) and Flynn Downes (£12m).
It was initially assumed that West Ham’s preference was on loan, but the club were prepared to meet Cornet’s release clause.
“It’s a new step for me to join this big club and I’m really happy to be here, to be part of a project for the club. I’m just excited to start,” he said. speak.
“Everyone knows the level in the Premier League is very high and I want to play here for that, so I’m really happy to be here in the next phase of my career.
“It will be amazing to play in front of 62,500 fans at the London Stadium. I played here for Burnley last season and I can’t wait to experience that as a West Ham player.”
Cornet shone for Burnley last season despite their relegation, scoring nine goals and contributing one assist in 26 appearances.
West Ham manager David Moyes added: “We are delighted to welcome Maxwell to West Ham United. He is a versatile player with good experience, in both the Premier League and European football, and will add strength and quality to our lineup.
“He made a big impact with his performance for Burnley last season and he impressed me with his desire to improve and challenge himself further at West Ham.
“We look forward to bringing Maxwell to the team and wish him the very best in his career with us.”
Cornet will play Man City?
Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
“We do not believe that Cornet was registered before noon [on Friday] so it is unlikely he will play for West Ham in the match against Manchester City on a great sunday.
“His first appearance will likely be absent from Nottingham Forest next weekend.”
Watch West Ham vs Man City live on Sky Sports Premier League from 4pm on Super Sunday; start at 4:30 pm.
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will move this summer when the transfer window opens June 10 and closed at 11 a.m. on September 1?
Stay up to date with all the latest transfer news and rumors in our column Transfer Center Blog above Sports Sky’ digital platform. You can also capture detailed information and analysis about Sky Sports News.
- 128 exclusive live Premier League matches.
- Pick the first match for each weekend of the Premier League season.
- The best team of experts in football includes Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Micah Richards and Roy Keane.
- Kelly Cates and David Jones will present our live coverage of Friday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, Super Sunday and Monday Night Football.
- In-game goals and mobile clips from live Sky Sports matches.
- Expanded Highlights On-Demand and our Premier League channel.
- Sky Sports is your ultimate destination for domestic football with live coverage of the Premier League, EFL, Scottish Premiership and Women’s Super League.
- Learn more about Sky Sports