News

Lady Susan Hussey and Ngozi Fulani have meeting ‘filled with warmth and understanding’ | UK News


A “warm and understanding” meeting took place between Prince William’s godmother and the founder of the charity she repeatedly asked where she really came from.

Lady Susan Hussey offered her “sincere apologies” to Ngozi Fulani for her comments and the “heartbreak” they had caused her. She is committed to raising awareness of the sensitive issues involved.

Lady Hussey has stepped down from her role in Buckingham Palace following a controversy over racism this month, after asking Ms Fulani questions such as “what part of Africa are you from?”.

Ms. Fulani, founder of Sistah Space, and Lady Susan asked to be “left alone to rebuild their lives after a very painful period for both of them”.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

The incident at the Palace has sparked a wide debate about race in modern England

A statement released by Buckingham Palace and Ms Fulani said: “A meeting took place this morning, December 16, at Buckingham Palace between Ms. Ngozi Fulani, founder of Sistah Space, and Mrs. Susan Hussey to deal with the incident that happened at a Palace reception last month.

“At this meeting, filled with warmth and understanding, Lady Susan offered her sincere apology for the comments made and the suffering they had caused Ms. Fulani.

“Madam Susan has committed to raising awareness of the sensitive issues involved and is grateful for the opportunity to learn more about the issues in this area.

“Miss Fulani, who has unjustly received the most horrific series of insults on social media and elsewhere, accepts this apology and appreciates that she held no malice.

Read more from SkyNews
Who is charity tycoon Ngozi Fulani?
Prince Harry and Meghan’s Netflix Series: Key Revelations From Final Episodes
Harry and Meghan’s revelations didn’t cause the earthquake as expected

“The Royal Households will continue to focus on inclusion and diversity, with an enhanced program of work that will broaden knowledge and training programmes, looking at what can be learned. from Sistah Space and make sure these reach all members of their community.

“Both Mrs. Fulani and Mrs. Susan are asking for peace of mind to rebuild their lives after a period of great suffering for both of them.

“They hope that their example shows a path to a solution that can be found through kindness, cooperation and condemnation of discrimination wherever it takes root.

“It is the wish of both sides that, after 16 days of work against gender-based violence by the United Nations, attention can now return to Sistah Space’s important work in support of women. affected by domestic violence.

“The King and Queen and other members of the Royal Family have been fully informed and pleased that both sides have achieved this welcome outcome.”

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Ms Fulani says Buckingham Palace’s race policy needs a complete overhaul

After the incident, Ms Fulani told Sky News she felt abused, verbally attacked and “trapped” by the encounter, describing the exchange as a “violation”.

“I didn’t give the answer she wanted me to give. So we couldn’t continue,” Ms. Fulani said. “And that’s when she said ‘I know you’ll get there eventually’ – it showed me, you’re determined to prove that I have no right to British citizenship.

“Now, that reminds me of that conversation in Windrush, where 50 or 60 years for people who were born here, worked here or you know, gave so much, can be thrown go out.”

Describing how Lady Hussey touched her hair to see her name badge, the charity boss said: “Now, the abuse doesn’t have to be physical. But if you move my hair that not allowed, to me, that’s abuse.

“When you verbally attack, because to me that’s what – you determine that the answer I give you is not the answer you want to hear, you don’t recognize me as British.

“And until I admit that I don’t, you won’t stop. What do I do? What do I do at that point? So I become silent. And I hope she disappears. and in the end she did.”

A week after the incident, Ms Fulani revealed that she and staff at her charity had been going through “an extremely difficult time” and received “terrible humiliation on social media”.

In a statement released on Monday 5 December, Ms Fulani said: “This past week has been an extremely difficult time for all of us at Sistah Space.

“My team, family and I have been under tremendous pressure and received some terrible abuse through social media.

“However, during this time, I’ve been very excited by the sheer amount of support we’ve received.

“I want to thank everyone for that, and it showed me that love will always triumph over hate.”

news7f

News7F: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button