A total of 58 people have been charged after Just Stop Oil staged four-day protests on the M25, shutting down parts of Britain’s busiest motorway.
The Metropolitan Police said it had arrested 63 suspects in a “major operation to address serious disturbances”.
The eleven accused will appear in different courts on Friday – the same day the climate activist group announced it would pause rallies on M25.
The group – whose members climb overhead trusses on the highway – said in a statement: “As of today, Just Stop Oil will suspend its civil protest campaign on the M25.
“We are taking time for those in the government who are in contact with the facts to consider their responsibilities towards this country at this time.
“We ask the prime minister to review his statement at COP27where he talks about the catastrophic threat posed by the devastation of global heating, the 33 million people displaced by floods in Pakistan, and the economic and moral imperative to live up to their commitments I. “
But they warn: “Supporters Just Stop Oil (JSO) are now those who uphold law and order and defend civil society.
“Under British law, the people of this country have the right to cause trouble to prevent greater harm – we will not stand by and watch.”
The 11 charged include David Misfud, 46, of Totnes, Devon, who will appear in court at Westminster Magistrates Court in central London.
Nicholas Onley, 60, of Tottenham, north London, and Thomas Gardener, 40, of Stapleford, Nottinghamshire, faced magistrates in Reading.
Meanwhile, Diana Hekt, 68, of Kirklees, Huddersfield, and Tez Burns, 34, of Swansea, will appear in court at the Brighton Magistrates’ Court.
Mair Bain, 35 years old, from Derby; Phoebe Plummer, 21, of Clapham, south-west London; David Mann, 50, of Ipswich; Cressida Gethian, 20, of Ledbury, Herefordshire; Christopher Ford, 35, of Cambridge, and Quido Wieswer, 18, from Pentonville, north London, are both set to appear at Colchester Magistrates Court on Friday.
The injured police officer is currently recovering
One Essex Police motorcyclist injured in collision with two lorries as the protests that took place on Wednesday are now recovering and have thanked the public for their concern.
The unnamed officer was injured in a taxiway after being thrown from his motorcycle.
The married father of two is an experienced officer who is outfitted with the force’s latest motorcycles, including protective suits and built-in airbags.
He has been part of the Essex Police Road Policy Unit for over 20 years after registering in 2001.
The incident happened when a senior police chief warned that “it’s only a matter of time” before someone gets killed in demonstrations.
But JSO activist Indigo Rumbelow, in a heated exchange with Sky News’ Mark Austin on Thursday, insisted that the protests should continue and M25 . interruption protection.
She described the situation as “extremely serious” and warned: “The protests will have to continue because, at this point, I don’t know what else we are going to do.”
Sheriff Simon Anslow, senior officer in charge of operations on the Essex section of the M25, thanked motorists for their patience and support of officers.
Police given extra powers to stop protests
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak earlier this week said ministers were “moving forward” with legislation giving police more powers to stop protests.
His remarks were in response to the Conservative MP for Runnymede and Weybridge in Surrey, Ben Spencer, who told the Commons the M25 rallies had caused “disruption and misery” for voters, including access to local hospitals.
JSO experienced a 32 day hiatus from late September and throughout October, resulting in 677 arrests and 111 charges.
Employees worked an additional 9,438 shifts to address the crisis. JSO says its supporters have been arrested more than 2,000 times since the campaign began in April.