Jose Pedraza and Richard Commey will go head-to-head in a battle between the former titles on Saturday in Tulsa, Oklahoma (ESPN, ESPN+).
JOSE PEDRAZA (29-4, 14 KOS) VS. RICHARD COMMEY (30-4, 27 KOS)
- Day: Saturday, August 27
- Time: 10:30pm ET / 7:30pm PT (main card) (main event after show)
- Where: Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- TV / Stream: ESPN, ESPN+
- Assignment: Small welding weight (140 pounds)
- Circle: ten
- Under threat: No main title
- Ranking in British Pounds: Not available
- The odds: NA
- Also on the card: Jared Anderson vs. Miljan Rovcanin, strong contenders; Efe Ajagba vs Jozsef Darmos, strong contenders; Richard Torrez Jr. and Marco Antonio Canedo, strong contenders
- Guess: Pedraza UD
- Story: Pedraza and Commey are both 30s trying to recover from losses and continue their hunt for a major title. Pedraza, a 33-year-old former player of two divisions (130 and 135), competed against the talented Jose Ramirez but lost a unanimous decision in his most recent match in March. That defeat set off a winning streak after three games. The Puerto Rican player lost his lightweight title to Vasiliy Lomachenko by a one-way decision in 2018. He is known for his stellar skill set and experience in big fights. Commey is a former lightweight champion with superior punching power who is gaining 140 pounds for this bout. He led to a decisively widely agreed loss to Lomachenko last December, the 35-year-old Ghanaian’s second loss in his past three matches. He was eliminated in two innings by Teofimo Lopez in December 2019. He stopped Jackson Marinez for six innings between those matches. Also on this card, potential heavyweight contender Jared Anderson (11-0, 11 KOs) of Toledo, Ohio, is expected to face Serbia’s Miljan Rovcanin (24-2, 16 KOs) in the bout. 10 innings.