The Immigration Minister told Sky News that the Home Office is facing a judicial review over conditions at the Manston migrant processing center.
Robert Jenrick said legal action had begun after reports of severe overcrowding at the center in Kent, which is home to 1,600 people but is already home to around 4,000 migrants, according to MPs.
He told The Take with Sophy Ridge: “I believe we received initial contact for judicial review.
“That’s not surprising, this is a highly contested policy area but of course, as minister in charge, I want to make sure everything we do is done in a fair manner. appropriate and legal.”
Mr Jenrick said he could not disclose who had brought the judicial review because it was legally sensitive.
The Immigration Minister, who was newly appointed last week by Rishi Sunak, said he has worked with Home Secretary Suella Braverman to reduce the number of people and how long they stay in Manston – which means only 24 hours. but much longer in some cases.
He added: “So in the week I’m posting, I’ve been working around the clock to make sure the Manston site is not only compliant with the law but also a humane and compassionate place where we welcome those migrants, treat them appropriately, and then quickly leave the alternative accommodation.
“I’m pleased to say tonight that’s the way we’re going, the numbers at Manston have dropped a lot since the weekend when we became aware of the specific issues and got directly involved.
“I think we are now on a path where within the next few days, assuming we don’t see a large number of migrants crossing the Channel – I don’t think that will happen because we have a good forecast. weather and other intelligence from northern France.
“I hope Manston will be brought back to a well-functioning and law-abiding site quickly.”
Mr Jenrick denied he had replaced Ms Braverman in dealing with Manston after she allegedly failed to listen to legal advice that migrants from Manston should be taken to a hotel after being processed within one hour. days after arrival.
She denied this in parliament on Tuesday.
“We worked extremely closely together, we bought more hotels, more support, excellent officers from the Border Force backed by contractors and the armed forces.” Mr. Jenrick added.