Necromancer is one of the hero classes in Diablo 4. These Rathma followers use the dead and souls, cast spells made of bones or plant curses to debilitate enemies. Here’s our Diablo 4 Necromancer level building guide to help you choose the best skills for the campaign.
Diablo 4 Necromancer level build for beta
Diablo 4 Necromancer’s level build focuses primarily on range of influence (AoE) and additional survivability. Likewise, characters are capped at level 25 during the beta, so we only have a few choices to make. Also, for a more in-depth explanation of each ability, you can visit our Necromancer overview of Active skill, talented / passiveand Book of the Dead minion summons.
Basic skills: Hemorrhage (of the practitioner) – Basic skills can be spammed to generate essence and Hemorrhage even provides extra healing by creating Blood Orbs. Not only that, another skill grants Fortify, which acts as an extra HP/shield protection and additional damage from Overwhelming attacks.
Core Skill: Blood Surge (Paranormal) – Blood Surge will probably be one of the best skills for how to level up Diablo 4 Necromancer. This is therefore an AoE ability that heals you. For its two perks, we feel that Occult is more reliable when trying to activate Tame, especially if Hemorrhage is being used to add to the Enhancement value.
Corpse: Corpse Explosion (Plagued) – One of the more iconic abilities of the Necromancer is Corpse Explosion. Assuming the Blood Surge kills a lot of forage enemies, you can follow up with a few uses of Corpse Explosion to deal massive AoE damage. This ability also doesn’t cost essence, as it consumes corpses scattered across the battlefield.
Curse: Decrepify (Terrible) – Decrepify serves as both an AoE debugger (lower damage dealt) and a crowd control tool (slows and stuns).
Ultimate: Army of the Dead (Prime and Supreme) – This conjures up an army of the undead for a few seconds, resulting in an explosion. Supremacy also elevates all fallen bone minions, so you won’t need to resurrect them using corpses.
passive – You can add a few points to any of these if you have enough money:
- Hewed Flesh – This adds a chance for your hits to spawn a corpse at the target’s location, with the boss counter rate doubled. This comes into play in boss battles, where your opponent rarely summons minions you can kill, to create more corpses.
- Skeleton Warrior Mastery – More often than not, you’ll be relying on your Skeleton Warrior. You can also buff them up a bit.
- Damage Amplification – This is a hint that you can take later, although you also need Grim Harvest. This temporarily increases the damage you do after eating a corpse, which you will tend to do often.
The Book of Death – These are the specializations and types of undead you’ll want to consider in order to level up Diablo 4 Necromancer:
- Skeletal Warriors: Reapers – Reapers attack slowed, stunned, immobilized, or vulnerable enemies reducing the cooldown of their burst attacks.
- Bone Mage – There are several possible options here:
- Cold – Enemies that are frozen or hit while frozen by your Bone Mage will become vulnerable for three seconds.
- Bone (Sacrifice/None) – Increases your Overpower damage by 30%, but you can no longer summon Skeletal Mages.
- Golem: Bone – Ideally you’ll want to pick up the Iron Golem. However, due to the beta’s level cap, you won’t be able to unlock other variants until launch. So for now, you can only use one of the two Bone Golem upgrades.
Diablo 4 is currently in beta. As a result, some of the information here may change as we get closer to the game’s official launch date on June 6. We’ll update this guide accordingly. For now, you can visit our website class center.
The products discussed here are independently selected by our editors. GameSpot may receive a share of the revenue if you purchase anything featured on our site.