The Delhi government led by Arvind Kejriwal will challenge the Supreme Court’s order to acquit three people convicted in a 2012 murder and gang case.
Delhi Deputy Governor VK Saxena today approved the request of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government in the city to file a petition to review the Supreme Court’s acquittal of three men earlier this month. this.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta and Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati will represent Delhi authorities in the case.
Three men were charged with the kidnapping, rape and murder of a 19-year-old woman in February 2012 in Delhi’s Chhawla, months before the Nirbhaya case. Three days later, her body was recovered from a field in Haryana with multiple wounds. Serious injuries suggest she was hit with car tools and clay pots.
A court in Delhi in February 2014 found the defendants guilty and sentenced them to death. The death penalty was confirmed by the Delhi High Court on August 26, 2014, stating that they were “predators” who were roaming the streets and were “looking for prey”.
They challenged the high court’s ruling in the Supreme Court, asking for their sentences to be reduced. The bench of Chief Justice UU Lalit and Judges S Ravindra Bhat and Bela M Trivedi on 7 November annulled the Supreme Court’s decision, noting that the prosecution had failed to provide “evidence”. clear, convincing, clear against the defendant”.
At the High Court, the Delhi Police invoked the heinous nature of the crime and argued against any concessions to the convicts.
Lawyers for the convicts appealed to the Supreme Court against the death sentence and cited their age, family background and criminal record to seek a reduced sentence.
Following the Supreme Court decision, the girl’s parents said they were “disappointed and devastated”. “We will continue our legal battle,” the girl’s father said as he recounted their 12-year struggle for justice.