Cristiano Ronaldo has promised Manchester United supporters that he will reveal the “truth” in a few weeks amid reports that he is continuing to look for a way out of Old Trafford.
Ronaldo wants to leave Man Utd this summer after they failed to qualify for the Champions League. The striker holds competitive records in goals, assists and appearances, and at the age of 37, is keen to add to his roster.
The Portugal international has been linked with some of Europe’s top clubs, including Chelsea and Atletico Madridalthough there are senior figures on both sides unconvinced of the move.
Man Utd’s stance this summer is that Ronaldo is not for sale and, while that still happens, they can open the door to his exit if Erik ten Hag decides it would be for the best for the whole team.
There have been reports that the new coach is unhappy with Ronaldo’s attitude amid his desire to leave. The former Real Madrid striker has cut a disappointing figure in Man Utd beat 4-0 at the hands of Brentford last weekend, while he was left out of the starting lineup for the season opener at home against Brighton, which ended in a Defeat 2-1.
With questions continuing to be raised about his future, Ronaldo has now taken to Instagram to assure Man Utd fans that, “you will all know the truth when I do an interview later. in a few weeks.”
Ronaldo added: “The media just lies. I have a notebook and out of the last 100 stories written (about me), only five are accurate. You can imagine. incident. Keep that number in mind.”
Neville: Stand up now and say
Ronaldo’s social media comments added to the drama surrounding Man Utd as they try to recover from a grueling start to the season, with a home game against nasty rivals Liverpool on Monday Night Football next for the drawn side of Ten Hag.
Former Man Utd captain Gary Neville questioned Ronaldo’s stance, tweeting: “Why did the greatest player of all time (in my opinion) have to wait two weeks to speak tell Manchester United fans the truth?
“Stand up now and speak. The club is in crisis and it needs leaders to lead. He’s the only one who can take this situation with the back of his head!”
Speaking earlier this week on Monday Night FootballNeville said he believes Man Utd can finish in the second half of the Premier League this season if Ronaldo is allowed to leave the club.
“Their problem now is that if they lose him, there’s nothing left to score on the pitch,” Neville said.
”I really think if they don’t bring in players or if they bring in bad players and he leaves, I really think they could end up in the bottom half of the table.
“I think it’s a bottom team. It’s a big statement that can look stupid at the end of the season.
“They were demoralized and shot to pieces, it was really bad in there. They were back in default.”
‘United stance on softening Ronaldo’
Sky Sports News Chief Correspondent Kaveh Solhekol:
“The stance seems to soften a bit because obviously the manager has the final say and if he decides it’s best for all parties to say now, ‘Ronaldo you were a legend. at Man Utd in the past, thank you for what you did last season, obviously you don’t want to be here’ and if a deal can be done that works for all parties and Ten Hag decides If that’s what he wants to do, he might be allowed to leave Man Utd.
“As far as the player himself is concerned, he wants to leave, he wants to play in the Champions League. That is the most important thing for him. There is also a suggestion that for personal reasons would be suitable for him. him more if he can leave Man Utd .
“There’s been a lot of talk that Man Utd haven’t had any official offers for him. There’s been no official offers. We’re really living in a world where nobody wants one. Cristiano Ronaldo? would be interested in signing him – if he agrees to a big pay cut.
“There are still senior figures at those two clubs who don’t believe they should sign someone like Ronaldo. But he’s one of the most famous people in the world. It’s not just about what he is. What he can do on the pitch, which is what he can do for a club’s record and commercial revenue off the pitch.”
Man Utd have difficulty pursuing midfielders and strikers
Another factor in Ronaldo’s decision to look to leave Man Utd is said to be what he perceives as their lack of signings in the transfer market this summer as they work to rebuild a squad that has fallen into disrepair. sixth in the Premier League last season.
Ten Hag can only sign Ajax defender Lisandro MartinezFeyenoord left-back Tyrell Malacia and former Brentford midfielder Christian Eriksen have just two weeks left in game time to strengthen the team.
Ten Hag is keen to reunite with Frenkie de Jong, the Barcelona midfielder with whom he worked with Ajax, but the Dutch international has so far turned down Man Utd’s offers, despite the two clubs having already agreed. deal worth £72 million.
Man Utd have also been frustrated in their bid to sign Juventus’ Adrien Rabiotwith the club not wanting to meet the salary demanded by the midfielder.
Man Utd also had difficulty bringing in a striker to strengthen the attacking options for Ten Hag. The club have seen an offer for 33-year-old Marko Arnautovic rejected by Bologna, while another player they are very interested in – RB Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko – has opted to move to RB Leipzig.
Man Utd have now been offered Atletico Madrid’s Alvaro Morata and are also linked with his team-mate Joao Felix – who the Spanish club have called “priceless”.
Man Utd are also said to be preparing a £35m move for PSV striker Cody Gakpo, although they will likely have to wait until the Dutch side’s Champions League play-off tie with Rangers ends on August 24th.
Man Utd continue to chase Antony
Sky Sports News It has been announced that Man Utd will return to Ajax striker Antony – and it is thought an offer will be made for the Dutch club this week.
United tried to sign the 22-year-old earlier but there is a big gap between what they are prepared to pay and what Ajax want. Ajax’s valuation is believed to have been €80m (£67.5m) at the time of opening.
Signing the striker has been a priority for Ten Hag throughout the summer and Antony has been a regular under the Man Utd manager at Ajax for the past two seasons.
Man Utd are exploring the possibility of bringing Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic on loan.
United are considering a number of attacking options with two weeks left of the transfer window and Pulisic has emerged as a player of interest.
The USA captain, who was signed for £57.6m from Borussia Dortmund in January 2019, did not fit the order at Chelsea and wanted extra minutes before the World Cup in Qatar.
The club are also looking for a goalkeeper to provide competition for first choice David de Gea, who made two penalty errors that led to a goal in the 4-0 loss to Brentford, and has identified Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer is a possible target.