NASA can’t seem to keep up with the respite. After successful completion of the Space Launch System on Wednesday, the agency had hoped to continue with Artemis 1 on September 27. Unfortunately, that date is no longer on the table. due to tropical storm Ian.
The storm formed Friday night over the central Caribbean. Based on , meteorologists predict Ian will become a hurricane on Sunday before making landfall in Cuba and then making its way to Florida’s Gulf Coast. As of Saturday, it remains unclear where Ian will land when it reaches land. There is also uncertainty about how strong a storm the state should expect, but current above-average ocean temperatures on the East Coast of the Gulf are not a good sign.
In anticipation of Ian becoming a hurricane, NASA decided to prepare for the return of SLS to ensure the safety of the Kennedy Space Center Vehicle Assembly Building. The agency will make a final decision on Sunday. If the forecast is worse, recovery will begin on Sunday night or early Monday morning. This plan gives NASA the flexibility to proceed with another launch attempt if weather conditions change.
If Artemis 1 fails to fly before October 3, the next earliest launch window will open on October 17. The return to VAB means NASA can also test the battery of the end-of-flight system. rocket flight. That would give NASA more flexibility between October 17 and October 31.
All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission. All prices are correct at time of publication.