Children have problems with swallowing foreign objects such as coins, magnets, and small toys. In a similar case, a four-year-old boy swallowed many magnetic beads, direct science report. The boy complained of abdominal pain “spasms” for two days. Doctors were shocked to learn that the pain was actually caused by a magnetic bracelet he had swallowed. He was taken to hospital after “repeated vomiting and constipation.”
Case study titled ‘Ingestion of multiple magnetic particles in a single child’ in “Journal of Pediatric Surgical Case Reports.”
Doctors first determined after examination that the boy had acute appendicitis and they subsequently removed his appendix. Three days after the procedure, he started vomiting and had constant abdominal pain. “Persistent abdominal pain after appendectomy. This was subsequently associated with vomiting of bile starting on the 3rd postoperative day,” the study said.
Two days later, his symptoms were still there so the doctors decided to conduct an ultrasound to find out the cause. It was later revealed that the child had a bracelet in his stomach. It got stuck inside the boy’s abdominal cavity.
The study added: “Parents were unable to provide any history of foreign body ingestion. A diagnosis of intestinal obstruction due to ingestion of a collision foreign body was made and the boy underwent emergency laparoscopic surgery. “.
Doctors performed an emergency laparotomy, which made an incision in the abdominal cavity and removed the bracelet, made up of 18 magnetic beads in a hexagonal shape, to prevent further injury. Surgeons also patched holes in the boy’s intestinal wall.
The study mentioned that as long as a magnetic particle is small enough to pass through the digestive tract, it poses no additional risk. However, children are significantly more likely to die when they consume more magnets.
Featured video of the day
“Confident to form government in the state”: Karnataka Parliament Chief of Staff